UbuntuNet Alliance is the regional research and education networking organisation for Eastern and Southern Africa. It builds and operates UbuntuNet, the regional high speed Internet backbone network for Eastern and Southern Africa. UbuntuNet Alliance is registered in Malawi as a not-for-profit association of National Research and Education Networks (NRENs) in Africa with the aim of providing a secure data communications network that supports research, teaching and learning in the region. Membership of the Alliance includes NRENs of the following countries: Botswana, Burundi, DRC, Ethiopia, Kenya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Rwanda, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe. The member NRENs work together in promoting internetworking for the purposes of research, education and innovation, but also welcomes not-for-profit transnational research and education organisations. UbuntuNet Alliance has its headquarters in Lilongwe, Malawi while the Network Operations Centre is located in Kampala, Uganda.
UbuntuNet Alliance is seeking to engage the services of suitably qualified Malawian candidates to fill the position of Communications Officer at its Head Office in Lilongwe, Malawi:
The Communications Officer shall be responsible for effective dissemination of information related to the initiatives of UbuntuNet Alliance; promoting the opportunities and benefits that these initiatives offer to the member countries and responding to the varied needs of stakeholders.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
The Communication Officer shall have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Developing and managing the communication plans of UbuntuNet Alliance;
- Initiating and contributing to the development of content and general editing services for all communication, dissemination and promotional materials of the Alliance;
- Managing and monitoring the online presence of the Alliance including maintaining the website, production of the monthly e-newsletter and posting updates on social media networks;
- Coordinating the implementation of marketing activities and public relations programme nationally, across the Membership Region of the Alliance and beyond;
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with local, regional and international media houses and agencies;
- Organising activities that provide for interaction between the Alliance and the general public or specific groups of stakeholders;
- Maintaining the database of contacts and stakeholders of the Alliance;
- Organising and managing logistics of events of the Alliance including meetings, workshops, annual conferences, press conferences, exhibitions, etc
- Serving as a member of the UbuntuNet Alliance team and performing other related duties as may be required
The person shall have the following:
- At least a first degree in Business Communication, Journalism, Marketing, Media Studies, Public Relations or a related field. A Masters’ Degree with a bias in Corporate Communications would be an added advantage.
- A minimum of two (2) years relevant experience;
- Experience in working with content management systems e.g. WordPress
- Dynamism, creativity, excellent communication skills and attention to detail
- Ability to apply current and emerging ICT tools in delivering the services;
- Ability to plan and organize work efficiently with particular attention to deadlines; managing relationships and expectations in an international environment.
Appointment and Remuneration
UbuntuNet Alliance is an equal opportunity employer and offers attractive remuneration package commensurate with qualification, competence and experience of the successful candidate. Interested eligible candidates should submit an application letter, complete with an up-to-date Curriculum Vitae that include names and contact information for two referees.
Deadline for submission of Proposals
Applications should be submitted in a single PDF or Word Document, attached to an email and sent to the Finance and Administration Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 8th March 2022.