UbuntuNet Alliance is the regional research and education networking organisation for Eastern and Southern Africa. It builds and operates UbuntuNet, the regional high speed Internet backbone network for Eastern and Southern Africa. UbuntuNet Alliance is registered in Malawi as a not-for-profit association of National Research and Education Networks (NRENs) in Africa with the aim of providing a secure data communications network that supports research, teaching and learning in the region. Membership of the Alliance includes NRENs of the following countries: Botswana, Burundi, DRC, Ethiopia, Kenya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Rwanda, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbwabwe. The member NRENs work together in promoting networking for the purposes of research and innovation, but also welcomes not-for-profit transnational research and education organisations.
UbuntuNet Alliance has its headquarters in Lilongwe, Malawi while the Network Operations Centre is located in Kampala, Uganda.
UbuntuNet Alliance would like to hire services of an audit firm to carry out internal audit services and report to the Risk and Audit Committee of the Board every three months. Therefore, suitably qualified audit firms are invited to submit their proposals which should include the following:
- The relevant experience and expertise of the firm in conducting audits of not-for-profit business organizations;
- Experience in conducting expenditure verification on European Union funded projects;
- Audit approach and methodology;
- Demonstration of ability to meet deadlines;
- The firm’s references of relevant services carried out in the last three years;
- Firms should identify prospective audit partner and manager for the assignment and detail their experience and qualifications;
- Audit fee for 3 consecutive years;
Terms of Reference for the provision of Internal Audit Services to the Alliance
The objectives of the internal audit services are to:
- Ensuring adherence to the Finance Manual and Delegations of the Board, as well as good professional practice.
- Review the adequacy of the Alliance’s financial management arrangements and processes, including adherence to the approved Finance Manual and compliance with financing agreements with development partners;
- Provide the management with timely recommendations to improve the on financial management of the Alliance.
Scope of the internal audit services
The internal audit services will be provided in accordance with the relevant professional standards, and will include such investigations and tests as the consultant considers necessary under the circumstances. Special attention should be paid to the following aspects:-
- Evaluate and make recommendations for improving the effectiveness and efficiency of the Alliance’s accounting and financial management policies and the extent to which they are being followed;
- Review the efficacy, adequacy and application of the Alliance’s accounting financial and administrative systems, processes and practices; and make recommendations for their improvement;
- Verify that the system of internal checks and controls for the prevention and early detection of defalcations, frauds, misappropriations and misapplications is effective and make recommendations for its improvement;
- Assess the level of financial propriety in all decision and verify compliance with government and statutory requirements in Malawi.
- Check that expenditures, including procurement of goods and services, have the necessary supporting documents and have been incurred in accordance with the approved Annual Budget and relevant financing agreement.
The Consultant will report to the CEO in terms of reporting lines, and will submit quarterly reports to the Board.
Method of Application
Application for this service should be submitted via email to: email@example.com
Deadline for submission of Proposals
Receiving Proposals will close at 23.59 on 20 February 2023.