MULUNGUSHI UNIVERSITY, ZAMBIA
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT: POSITION – DEPUTY VICE CHANCELLOR
The Council of Mulungushi University through the search committee invites applications for this exciting opportunity at an institution with palpable momentum from suitably qualified candidates for the position of Deputy Vice-Chancellor.
1.0 About the University
Mulungushi University, which has distinguished itself as a RARE (Responsible, Accountable, Relevant, Ethical) value-based Centre of excellence, was established by the Government of the Republic of Zambia in January 2008. It consists of three (3) campuses, the main one being the Great North Road Campus with a serene environment by the banks of Mulungushi River, which is situated 26 km north of Kabwe. The second campus is located in the heart of Kabwe town and the third campus is situated in Livingstone by the banks of Victoria Falls, one of the Seven Wonders of the World.
Mulungushi University is a new model of a public University in the development of higher education in Zambia. As a public University, it is required to contribute to skilled human resource needs of Zambia. It is also expected to be financially self-sustaining, meeting the bulk of its staff and the operational costs.
The Search Committee, acting on behalf of the University Council, invites applications from suitably qualified individuals for the position of Deputy Vice Chancellor (DVC). 2
The DVC should be a visionary RARE leader and an astute academic innovator. S/he should have strong interpersonal skills, a highly relational approach. S/he should have deep understanding and commitment to the vision, mission and values of the University.
2.0 DEPUTY VICE-CHANCELLOR
(a) Job Purpose
The Deputy Vice Chancellor is the Chief Academic Officer of the University. S/he reports to the Vice Chancellor in providing strategic leadership, planning, implementing, monitoring and controlling of institutional activities. He/she is accountable to Senate for the academic administration, planning and development of the University.
(b) Main Accountabilities
The duties of the Deputy Vice Chancellor include:
- Providing vision and leadership for all University academic activities and strategic planning, including oversight of the academic budget.
- Coordinating academic, research and consultancy activities of the University.
- Directing and monitoring the implementation of the University Strategic plan.
- Coordinating Staff Development Programmes
- Fostering an environment that promotes equity and inclusion and where creativity, scholarship, research and teaching excellence can flourish and where students and academic members can excel.
- Performing duties of the office of the Vice Chancellor in his/her absence
- Performing any other relevant duties as may be delegated by the Vice Chancellor
(c) Qualification and Experience
- Grade 12 certificate (with five O levels of credits or better) or its equivalent
- Holder of an authenticated earned Doctorate Degree, Masters and Bachelor’s degree from accredited and recognized Universities
- Demonstrable academic leadership
- A track record of personal achievement in both teaching, research, consultancy, and strategic planning
- Demonstrable analytical, ICT, administrative and financial management abilities
- Should have attained a minimum rank of Senior Lecturer in a reputable higher learning Institution
- Have a minimum of seven (7) years’ experience at management level in the University or similar institution
- Demonstrable experience in resource mobilization
- Demonstrable leadership in research through mentorship and publications in peer-reviewed journals
(d) Key Attributes and skills
- Accomplished researcher and educator and an exemplary leader with a strong commitment to meeting the needs of students and academics, and a record of being actively engaged with both internal and external communities
- Knowledge of policies and procedures required by Universities and regulators
- Knowledge of academic programme development, implementation, management and assessments at both Undergraduate and Graduate levels
- Possess the ability and vision to effectively and strategically lead a large, complex, multi-campus academic portfolio.
- Possess sound knowledge of quality assurance and improvement
- Ability to develop and facilitate new and maintain appropriate academic partnerships with the community and industry and other educational institutions both locally and internationally
- Possess high levels of personal and professional integrity, good interpersonal skills and negotiation skills
- Self-motivated and a team player
- Receptive to change and ability to manage change
The University offers a competitive remuneration package to the individual appointed to this position
The Deputy Vice-Chancellor is appointed for an initial period of four (4) years which could be renewed for a similar period, subject to performance.
3.0 MODE OF APPLICATION
Candidates meeting the stated requirements are required to submit their applications comprising the following:
- Letter of application
- Curriculum vitae
- Authenticated copies of academic and professional qualifications including a full grade 12 or equivalent certificate
- Names and addresses of three (3) referees, two (2) of whom must be professional authorities in relevant fields, and one (1) character referee
- Any other relevant information that may assist the Search Committee in determining the suitability of the applicant.
Applications marked “POSITION OF DEPUTY VICE-CHANCELLOR” must be addressed to:
Great North Road Campus
P.O. Box 80415
OR send to the following Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
CLOSING DATE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATION IS FRIDAY 24TH APRIL 2020, 17:00 HOURS
N.B Mulungushi University is an equal opportunity employer. Women candidates are encouraged to apply. The post of Deputy Vice Chancellor is open to both eligible Zambians and Non Zambians. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please visit the Mulungushi University website at www.mu.ac.zm