UbuntuNet Alliance is a membership-based regional research and education networking organisation for Eastern and Southern Africa. Its members are National Research and Education Networks (NRENs), which operate at national level as specialised digital service providers dedicated to the needs of research and education institutions. The Alliance builds and operates UbuntuNet, the regional high-speed Internet network interconnecting NRENs and in turn research and education institutions. UbuntuNet Alliance is registered in Malawi as a not-for-profit association of NRENs in Africa with the aim of providing a secure data communications network that supports research, teaching and learning in the region. Currently, membership of the Alliance includes NRENs of the following countries: Burundi, DRC, Ethiopia, Kenya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mozambique, Rwanda, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe. The member NRENs work together in promoting internetworking for the purposes of research, education and innovation. UbuntuNet Alliance has its headquarters in Lilongwe, Malawi while the Network Operations Centre is located in Kampala.
UbuntuNet Alliance is seeking to engage the services of suitably qualified Procurement Officer to fill vacant positions tenable at its headquarters in Lilongwe, Malawi.
- Procurement Officer
The Procurement Officer, reporting to the Finance and Administration Manager, shall be responsible for coordinating the acquisition of goods and services for the Alliance and ensuring that all purchased items are both cost-efficient and of high quality.
- Following and enforcing adherence to the Alliance’s procurement policies and procedures to achieve efficiency and value.
- Preparing annual procurement plans in liaison with departmental budget holders, advising on procurement options and assisting with appropriate pre-market engagement.
- Preparing tender documentation as required, including recommending appropriate key performance indicators (KPIs) and management terms for inclusion.
- End to end running of procurement exercises, advising on and leading departmental budget holders through procedures and preparation of contracts.
- Advising on and assisting budget holders with managing supplier performance against contractual terms and KPIs. This may include helping them understand and oversee service level compliance, identifying and reporting upon areas of concern or for improvement and assisting with remedial action, liaising with Commercial Legal for contract law advice where necessary.
- Maintaining an up-to-date register of contracts and ensuring that all budget holders are aware of contractual terms and periods.
- Developing and sustaining market knowledge
Qualifications and Personal Attribute:
The person shall have the following:
- Graduate calibre, educated to degree level qualification (or equivalent vocational experience) in a relevant, transferable subject
- Membership of the Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply
- Knowledge of European Union funding agreements and experience of running public
- Experience of contract management
- Experience of working in a business or public sector organisation
- Experience of dealing with a broad range of business issues including technical, financial, legal and contractual
- ICT category and procurement experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication abilities and strong inter-personal skills;
- Expert knowledge of the international capacity market place and external best practices
Appointment and Remuneration
UbuntuNet Alliance is an equal opportunity employer and offers attractive remuneration package commensurate with qualification, competence and experience of the successful candidate. The appointments shall be on contract for a period of three-years subject to renewal.
Method of application
To apply for this position, complete the job application form HERE, and upload your cover letter and Curriculum Vitae (that includes names and contact information for three referees) in a single PDF.
Receiving applications will close at 23:59 CAT on 5th June 2023.