Following the end of term of the Secretary General of the Association of African Universities (AAU) in September 2021, the Governing Board of the AAU has approved that the position be filled.
The position of the Secretary-General of the AAU will therefore become vacant in October 2021 and the AAU is seeking to fill that post as expeditiously as possible.
Established in 1967, the AAU is a pan-African, multi-lingual, higher education association with a membership of over 400 institutions in the five major regions of Africa. The Association plays a major role in giving content and direction to the current and historic continental initiative to revitalise and transform African higher education. It draws upon its membership and collaborates with major organisations and donor partners in Africa and across the world in the design and implementation of its programmes.
The Association is the voice of higher education in Africa and the implementing partner of the African Union in matters relating to higher education on the continent. The Secretary-General is the Chief Executive Officer of the Association, and is a key factor in enabling the association play these roles fully.
The Secretary-General is responsible to the Governing Board and the General Conference and should be a leader able to provide strategic direction and inspire others. He / She must identify with the aims of the Association as set out in its Constitution and Strategic Plan, and have a demonstrated commitment to the principles of integrity, excellence and fairness.
Candidates will need to demonstrate excellence in the following:
1. Strong academic background;
2. Significant leadership experience at a senior management level;
3. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
4. Management in a transforming environment;
5. A sound appreciation of emerging trends in higher education within Africa and globally, and the ability to represent African universities effectively in their dealings with governments and other external stakeholders.
A detailed list of criteria is indicated in this advertisement. An attractive remuneration and conditions of service will be determined by the Governing Board.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit the following:
1. A letter of motivation which addresses the above criteria, including a statement of your vision for the Association’s future and your potential contribution to such a future;
2. A detailed curriculum vitae, as well as a one-page personal profile summary;
3. The names and contact details (email and telephone) of three (3) referees, at least one of whom should be resident outside the applicant’s country of domicile.
Applications must be emailed to email@example.com AND also submitted via this link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/SGVacancy
Candidates may be also nominated by other persons, but the permission of the designated candidate must first be sought. Such nominations should be accompanied by a brief note explaining the motivation for the nomination and complete contact details of the candidate.
Deadline for applications
Applications and nominations should be sent before the closing date for receipt of applications/nominations which is 15 June, 2021. All applications and nominations will be treated in strict confidence.
This vacancy advertisement can also be viewed via the African Jobs Board Platform
on this link: https://africa.edujobs.