Applications are invited from suitably qualified and experienced persons for the demanding position of Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of UbuntuNet Alliance for Research and Education Networking. The Alliance, whose Head Office is based in Lilongwe, Malawi, is a membership-based non-profit research and education networking organisation for Eastern and Southern Africa. It plans, builds and operates the high-speed backbone network interconnecting National Research and Education Networks (NRENs) in the region and connecting them to other regional networks globally. The Alliance also promotes the utilization of advanced ICT in research, teaching and learning.
The Membership region of UbuntuNet Alliance covers 26 countries in Eastern and Southern Africa and membership is open to bona fide NRENs recognized by their national governments. Currently, the Alliance has member NRENs from 16 countries, 10 of which are connected to the regional backbone network. The Alliance forges relationships with development partners, regional and international economic bodies and telecom service providers in delivery of its services.
The ideal candidate will have the following attributes:
- Minimum of 5 years high level experience as a manager with discretionary operations and expenditure powers in areas that have very strong relevance to both the technology and business side of research and education networking;
- A balanced combination of technical knowledge related to ICT in the research and education environment as well as research and education networking on the one hand, and business and management skills on the other hand;
- Experience at regional and international level, including working in multi-cultural, multi-national environments;
- A self-motivated and output-oriented person with good leadership, integrity and inter-personal skills;
- Excellent communication and report writing skills; very good command of the English language, with French and Portuguese as desirable additional languages.
Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of the CEO include the following:
- Developing and implementing UbuntuNet Alliance’s strategy;
- Supporting UbuntuNet Alliance governance processes;
- Managing operations;
- Planning and implementing staff and general capacity development;
- Developing and managing relations with member NRENs;
- Developing and sustaining relations with the Research & Education Networks community worldwide;
- Developing and sustaining relations with development partners;
- Developing and sustaining relations with suppliers;
- Ensuring the self-sustainability of UbuntuNet Alliance.
Terms of employment
This is a full-time contract position for an initial term of 4 years, renewable based on performance and by mutual agreement, tenable at the Head Office. The Alliance provides an attractive negotiable salary and benefits to the CEO in accordance with its emoluments structure.
Method of application
Applicants should provide details of all their qualifications, including university degrees as well as management and industry certifications. Shortlisted candidates will be informed about their status by 15th March, 2018 with a view to arranging for their interviews between 18th and 22nd March. The new CEO will be engaged by 1st May, 2019.
Applications, including detailed curriculum vitae and three traceable referees, should be submitted in electronic form as a single PDF file not later than 20th February, 2019 to:
The Chairman, CEO Search and Selection Committee
P. O. Box 2550,
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy to email@example.com